Hello and thank you for visiting my blog of my Coast to Coast walk!
Sponsor me in aid of the RNIB by clicking on the map
which will take you to my 'Just Giving' site. Thank You! :o)

Sponsor me and help the RNIB

Saturday 24 July 2010

Day 1: The Adventure Begins ...

St Bees Head to Ennerdale Bridge (14 miles)
I hope that everyone has been nice and dry today and the weather has been fab where you are.The weather on the West coast today has been rain, rain, and more rain! I have never been so wet in my life, every inch of my body, from head to toe was sopping wet. The funny thing was it all started so brightly.

We took the train from Carlisle (Paddy was a bit reluctant) and got off at St Bees Head, the start of our adventure. We got our boots wet and picked up a stone each from the beach to carry over the country and throw into the North Sea. The weather was quite bright at that stage.

We had a nice walk along the cliffs  and got past the first mile (still going strong and only another 191 to go).



After 5 miles we started heading East and obviously the rain is a magnet to us and the skies opened and down came the rain. We eventually got to the top of a fell called Dent where you were supposed to see the Isle of Man but I could not even see Pads at the end of his lead!


The map said that there would be a forest after we climbed Dent, I got my hopes up for a nice dry, sheltered forest path. However the forest had been cut down so all there was was a big wet path with a river running through the middle of it.

 We plodded on in the rain along the Nannycatch Valley and eventually reached Ennerdale (HALLELUJAH!)


We had walked 14 miles, only another 178 to go.

Highlight of the day: The bath at the hotel

1 comment:

  1. Oh poor you getting wet!
    Hope the weather has improved and you are making good progress. Looking forward to hearing how many miles you have powered through today :)

    ReplyDelete